Saturday 29 March 2014

Lifestyle: If You Want a Gentlemen/Lady...

This post may be a little controversial and it is only my personal opinion on the matter - so pretty please bare that in mind! I don't mind a good discussion but just no arguments please! I did ask on my facebook page whether I should post this or not and the result was yes so here it is...

This is a subject I'm asked about a lot... And it seems as if some people do want the old fashioned way to come back. I'm an admirer of the old school way and the way to act, yes we may be in the modern day but does it hurt to want to be an old school lady every once in a while? 

Issue 1 - Girls...
I often hear a lot of girls (and by girls I mean teenagers around the age of 14 - 16) say they want a true gentlemen to hold the door for them, and be a "man". However there are a couple of issues with this... 

If you want a guy to be a gentlemen, why don't you act a little more like a lady? It bugs me when girls who seem to think swearing constantly and acting like a man will attract a gentlemen... It doesn't necessarily work. For example, if you went for a job interview at a rather posh shop lets say, would you turn up in a skirt that just covers your bum and your boobs on full display? For me personally, I've changed a whole lot in the past 2 years alone - I used to swear all the time and never really acted like a lady, but now I dress accordingly and I act like a lady, I have gentlemen of all ages hold the door open for me, help me with my suitcases and heck, I even had 2 train guards at Clapham junction come over to me, just to tell me how beautiful I looked and helped me put my heavy suitcase on the train! If you want to get a gentlemen, then act like a lady, its really not that hard!

I'm not saying you have to be like the royal family, not at all, but just have manners and be polite and don't dress as if you are working at a strip club... (Personal opinion there... Oh Controversy!)

Issue 2 - Boys
Photo: Hear hear!!!Okay I'm going to be fair here, I feel sorry for you guys. Girls can be real bitchy sometimes and you are just expected to read our minds as if you know everything going on in our heads (dang us girls are complicated!). I only have 2 main issues regarding men... The 1st being don't have that chauvinistic attitude where you tell the woman to "make you a sandwich" or "go to the kitchen" that is not being a gentlemen - that is sexist. A woman will do them things for you if you RESPECT her, not if you are damn well derogatory to her and just expect her to do it anyway. The 2nd issue being... MAKE AN EFFORT. Personally, I'm a sucker for a man in a 3 piece suit (and a beard, but that's a whole other personal thing) and I've been on so many dates where the guy has just made no effort what so ever, I'm not saying dress as if you are going to a Michelin Star restaurant, but making a little bit of an effort with aftershave and a nice pair of trousers and a casual shirt won't hurt! Girls, whether we say it or not, do look for the physical features in a man - not saying you have to be Brad Pitt because each person has their own taste!

Issue 3 - Chivalry
This is my ultimate issue with the whole being a gentlemen thing... I like a man that can hold the door open for me and treat me like a lady but still respect that I am a human being and I can cope on my own. A lot of people, in my opinion, now days seem to think that if a man is chivalrous to a lady, that she is incapable of doing it herself - which is wrong. Another idea is, that people think chivalry is about treating just women correctly... BIG FAT NO. 

Chivalry is about being polite and a gentlemen to everyone, for example instead of just helping a lady you like across the street, why don't you help an elderly person? If you are a gentlemen to everyone, then that will attract the right woman! For me personally, I find it super attractive if a man helps or is a gentlemen to other people. 

Sorry for the rather ranty post, but it's something that is kind of a big deal for me and people often seem to have the wrong perception of chivalry that its just to be used towards women when really you should be a gentlemen all the time! And girls just don't seem to understand that the way you act and dress could attract the wrong sort of person that you don't desire to be with.

Its all about self perception, for me, I want a real gentlemen, not just one who is doing it for the sake of it, but is doing it because that is what he truly believes. 

Any who...

Next Saturday's post will be a review of the Soap and Glory Powder Palette - so nothing as heavy as this post!

Lots of Love Petals

Emma Victoria

xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment